Sunday, April 01, 2012

The joy of knowing positive people

A good blog post is supposed to have a clear focus, a single point. But I'd just like to ramble on for a bit about what a wonderful week I've had.

On Wednesday, I was off to the Museum of Childhood in London to help kick start an exciting new writing project, 26 Treasures of Childhood. On Thursday, I built and wrote the blog to explain what that project is all about. On Saturday, I was down in Whitstable for an excellent writing workshop with Vanessa Gebbie, who I've read and admired for a long time, but not met. And today I've dug my vegetable patch, cooked lunch and read a stunning short story in the sunshine.

In between the gaps I've talked to people about some great projects, including running a festival of words and organising some kind of street literature experience.

Best of all, I've met and worked with some wonderful people. I'm thinking particularly about Rhian Harris and Stephen Nicholls from the Museum of Childhood; my inspirational colleagues on that project – John SimmonsFiona Thompson and Emily Bromfield; Malcolm Blythe; the Wordstock gang (Sara Sheridan, Elen Lewis, Elise Valmorbida); and the Whitstable writers, especially Peggy Riley, who gave me the honour of letting me scribble for a while inside her beautiful writing shed.

Other parts of my life have been giving me a bit of grief this week, so on this lovely sunny afternoon I'm going to focus my thoughts on the joy of knowing and working with some very special, positive, creative, generous, friendly people who make good things happen in the world.

And I'll especially savour the fact that Vanessa Gebbie said I was "brilliant", Sarah Salway said she'd like to work with me one day and John Simmons said I'd "made something beautiful".

And there concludes my love-in.

No comments: