Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Finding time for writing - the big lie

Yesterday was my first day back at work. Over the holidays, as usual, I spent a lot of time thinking about how to balance my working day, how to mix my different responsibilities. The aim, as always, is to find more time to write. Because if I had more time to write….ah, well.

How much money does it take to be happy? Ask anyone that question and they’ll usually answer with a figure that is just a little bit more than they earn now. The amount of money they need is always just out of reach.

The same applies to me and writing time. If I just had a little more... And then I read these wise words from Julia Cameron:

“The myth that we must have ‘time’ – more time – in order to create is a myth that keeps us from using the time we do have. If we are forever yearning for ‘more’, we are forever discounting what is offered.”
I felt a shiver when I read that. She continues:
“The ‘if-I-had-time’ lie is a convenient way to ignore the fact that novels require being written and that writing happens a sentence at a time. Sentences can happen in a moment.”

2 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

I love this - it is so bloody true. Cringe....says she, mucking about on the internet instead of writing...slapped wrist.

Oh dear. Now hurty wrist stops me writing....

Neil said...

Hi Vanessa, I only just saw that you posted this comment. Thanks for taking the time!

Ms Cameron's books – or the two I've read – are peppered with painfully accurate quotes like this one.

Reading her is part inspiration, part flagellation. The mix varies, depending on my mood.

There was an error in this gadget

Get new posts by email...